Sunday, September 7, 2014

Great Cross Sound Race

The Great Cross Sound Race was held on August 23rd, 2014. Alki Beach in West Seattle is home to the start and finish of this 7 mile race. I drove my Bay 21 up, cartopping (actually truck-topping) it up to Seattle from Santa Cruz. The first question most people ask is "how long does it take to drive to Seattle". Actually, unasked or maybe under their breath, most people are asking "are you crazy?". The answer is yes. Er, i mean, 13.5 hours. But i did that 13.5 hour drive once several years ago and don't intend to ever do it again. It is simply too mind-numbing. I planned two days to drive up there and two days to drive back. That's a more stress-free plan and allows one to take in a lot more beauty. I drove up I-5 on the way to Seattle and drove back via I-5 and also the Oregon coast. That weekend's weather was fantastic. Race day had beautiful weather and excellent water conditions. In the 21 foot class there were no Maas Aeros or Vancouvers -- only Bay 21s. There were four of us. I came in second at 59 minutes, 44 seconds. That means more than 7 miles per hour average. Tyler Peterson, president of Bay Shells Rowing, took first place. Go to Sound Rowers web site for hundreds of excellent photos of the event, the boats and the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment