Sunday, September 7, 2014

Petaluma River Rowing Marathon

On Sunday, August 31st, the North Bay Rowing Club in Petaluma held it's annual Petaluma River Marathon. The event was well-attended. The weather was excellent. The course is beautiful. For the marathoners, including me, the course is also : long! Afterwards, my GPS indicated 25.5 miles and average speed of 6.8 miles per hour. I think i can cruise for extended periods in my Bay 21 at about 6.3 miles per hour. There was an outgoing tide which seemed to be about 1 mph since my average speed at the turn was 7.3 miles per hour. I knew it would drop thereafter as we fought our way back upstream against the ebbing tide. Thankfully the tidal flow was decreasing and slowing so the return trip had less of a 'headwind' than the outgoing first leg had 'boost'. So that's 3 hours, 44 minutes of rowing. That's a lot! I used my Dreher "Aero" oars. They're fantastic on flat water -- giving less aerodynamic resistance on the recovery and better hydrodynamic efficiency during the stroke (almost cheating, i like to say) but i find them pretty challenging to use on rough water. The main challenge i have is placing them at the right depth. Conventional sculls help you find the right depth because the shaft gives the sculler feedback when it hits the water. The Aero sculls has so little resistance that the depth of the blade when they hit the water is hard to detect. I tend to go too deep. After a few hundred strokes, though, i was finally feeling the 'pull-through' height and, therefore, blade depth that worked best (most efficiently). At about 26 strokes per minute i calculate i took about 5850 strokes. Well done! to all the participants and competitors. Can't wait until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment